Monday 20 January 2014

What if I'm a famous author & you don't know?

I'm beginning to get the feeling, or should I say the feeling is not new, but for a few months now I'm thinking - I don't know if readers could recognize a famous author's writing (when the author uses a new moniker/alias/penname) even if the book was staring right at them!

I don't think agents could recognize a famous author from a slush pile if the author used a different name.  I think sometimes fame is all a bunch of bullshit, excuse the expression.  We're all followers, liking what other people like, wanted to be part of popular culture.  Fame is all a facade in writing.  Music is different because people can immediately identify a singer's voice, or the way a group of musicians play the fans can identify.

But writing...naw!  Readers need to see the author's famous name, and then they buy the book.  It doesn't matter how or where the author markets the book...it's a name game.

And the joke is on you...and me.  This activity is like lemmings - who follow each other to the edge of a cliff and jump off, to die.  Such is the case, when animal rights activists and environmentalists try to tell people we need to look around us and learn - but we're too busy following each other!  Hey, if one lemming stopped to stay and check things out, this one would survive "the lemming race."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.